Sunday, March 17, 2013

Las Grietas and Garrapatero

We got an unusual afternoon off, so Coll and I headed over to Las Grietas. I was excited to bring the underwater camera set-up because some cool fish and eels had been spotted there about a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, I forgot my mask and snorkel, so I just took a dip and watched one of the kids jump off the top of the cliff. Needless to say, I didn't jump, and likely never will!



One of our sites is called El Garrapatero, for a large, black bird that lives there. It is also known by the name Ani. I hadn't seen them up close, only from afar. One of sampling days resulted in one flying into our mist net, and up close, you can see there is a very cool plate on it's upper beak. The plumage was quite beautiful as well. A very cool bird for a very cool place.




No comments:

Post a Comment